Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

No Guts, No Glory!

"There's a difference between interest and commitment. When you are interested in doing something, you do it only when it's convenient. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses; only results!"

The Chicago Marathon was nothing short of magical. My sister and I were nervous but excited when we arrived in Chicago last Saturday,October 8th. Besides, she had been in the hospital just a week before with a serious debilitating injury/condition that had caused her to rethink about her plans to run this marathon in which she had put in 15 solid weeks of training.

I remember her asking me "What would you do in my situation?" I took a deep breath and tried to respond the best way I could with her safety in mind. In my second professional fight last year, I fought with a broken foot and earlier this year, I fought with a respiratory infection. Obstacles will always be part of our lives and you have to do what you feel in your heart is best for YOU and the rest is pure Faith. I assured her that I was proud of her despite of what her decision would be. A couple of days later, she would confirm her decision to run the Chicago Marathon although her goals had changed and completing this Marathon (her 3rd ever) after a 6-yr break was going to be beyond rewarding.

The alarm sounded at 5am on Sunday, October 9th. I had awoken with amazing feelings of Gratitude for arriving safely the day before, for having an awesome night out in Chicago and for the day I was about to have. My sister and I got great sleep and we were stoked that the hotel's Starbucks was opening at 5am to accomodate the runners. I was smiling big when we went downstairs to have our tea & oatmeal. Genuine Enthusiasm, Confidence & Faith are contagious and I knew I had enough for both of us.

We made our way through the 47,000 thousand registered runners to our assigned corrals and the time to say good-bye had arrived. I gave my sister a heartfelt crazy tight, but very confident hug & then I focused on the race I was about to run. A run that I knew I was ready for and was doing to test myself; to bring the best out of myself & continue to strengthen my faith. The airhorn went off at 7:30am & the 26.2 mile journey begun...

My goal for this Marathon was to run a solid 3:40 that would qualify me for Boston. I had battled through a few health scares & injuries for a few years that prevented me from running a marathon at that pace since 2005. I visualized what I wanted to run & how I wanted to feel all week and just had the faith that I could finally pull it off. The first 3 miles, I was flying at a 7:30 pace. I was rocking to my mp3 player when all of a sudden it made a weird high pitch sound and completely died on me. Whoa! What was I going to do with 23.2 miles left without music? I don't think I ever ran any long distance events without music.

I did panic for a couple of minutes, but all of a sudden felt a sense of peace. It dawned on me that this was an opportunity to really take in each mile; to listen to my body; to rely on myself and on my faith. Each mile was dedicated to a certain time in my life where I could remember great achievements. I could also hear the church songs playing in my head throughout the race. Mile 23 seemed to be where I started to struggle the most & felt incredible fatigue & ache in my lower back. I knew I had it in me to push through the discomfort.

As Mile 26 approached, I was so overwhelmed with emotion. I could see myself raising my hands in victory and as I made my way to the 26.2 mile finish line, I looked up and saw 3:40! I was overcome with tears of joy and amazing feelings of gratitude. I walked in disbelief but with a big koolaid smile. I waited anxiously for my sister to finish and seeing her finish a couple of hours later was the icing on the cake! We had both completed the Chicago Marathon and we were both healthy and proud..
This was my 16th Marathon and definitely a very special one that I will hold dear to my heart forever for a few reasons. Training my sister for this event helped bond us in a unique way, but also seeing her dedication & transformation was rewarding for both of us. Sharing the incredible feeling of accomplishment and knowing that we both did it for our own personal reasons was significant as I have learned the hard way that doing things for the wrong reasons to prove other people wrong results in empty feelings. To me, this run was spiritual as it showed me the power of faith and belief like never before.

The feeling of accomplishment; to know you pushed beyond your limits and brought out the best in you for YOU is an inner satisfaction that no one can ever take away from you...I am forever grateful for this opportunity and can only hope to continue to bring out the best!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVDXiTF95fU&feature=share

Much Love,
Patricia "Patty Boom Boom" Alcivar

No comments:

Post a Comment